A Short Visit to the ER

Wednesday night, Dean had a bottle about 8pm and then went to bed. At about 12:30 he woke up crying and wouldn't take a bottle, but continued to be very fussy. As he's got teeth coming in, we didn't think much of it. We gave him some tylenol and let him sleep in our bed. All night he was restless and very fussy. He'd wake up every hour or so and cry for a while. We'd get him to go back down to sleep, and then the cycle would repeat.

So, we decided to keep him home from day-care on Thursday. He ate a few Cheerios and some dried fruit, but not much and still wouldn't take a bottle. All day he was sleepy and lethargic. When I finally did get him to take some formula, a short while later he threw up. The rest of the day, he didn't want formula or juice, and the few times he took a few sips, they came back up in a few minutes. In the early afternoon I called his doctor's office and they said to keep pushing fluids and call back if he didn't improve. Around 7, since it had now been nearly 24 hours since he'd held down any fluids, we called the doctor again, and he said we should take Dean into the ER and they would see what was required to get him rehydrated.

The doctor that because Dean was dehydrated, he was nauseous and because he was nauseous, he wouldn't take fluids, and we needed to break that cycle before his dehydration became harmful. The said that they likely would do IV fluids to get his levels back up, and then once he was feeling better would try oral fluids again. Luckily this wasn't necessary. They said they would try anti-nausea medication first, because his dehydration level wasn't at a point of being dangerous, and they'd rather not stick needles in a baby (or anyone one else) if they didn't have to. Sure enough, within 5-10 minutes of getting the medication, Dean's normal personality was back. He wanted to play and interact with the people around him. They gave us some apple juice mixed with Pedialyte and he all but grabbed the bottle out of our hands. They had us start by letting him only eat for about a minute and then wait 10 minutes before giving him more. This annoyed him greatly. After about 20 minutes, they said to go ahead and let him eat what he wanted. He shortly finished almost all of the 6 ounces in the bottle, and they sent us on our way.

So, all in all, a little bit scary, but in terms of a visit to the ER, we couldn't have hoped for a better result. We'll have a follow up with is doctor in the next few days just to be sure everything is okay. But so far, so good.

2 Responses to A Short Visit to the ER

  1. 439 Gregory Dvorak 2009-05-01 08:35:34

    Glad to hear everything went okay. Hope to talk to you soon.


  2. 440 Jackie 2009-05-01 09:12:38

    Oh my goodness!! Glad he's doing okay and readily grabbing at the bottle again.

    All the best and love.

Leave a Reply